Why are grinder pumps needed in some areas?
Recommendations for customers with grinder pumps:
- There are several different pumps that have been installed at customers’ properties throughout the years.
- The grinder pumps BCSS installs at homes and businesses require very low preventative maintenance, and there are precautions listed below that can help uphold the pump, in addition to the normal User Tips.
- If your pump’s alarm is on for more than 15 minutes, you could try to troubleshoot, or call BCSS or a plumber to schedule service for it. Continuing to use water without having the pump serviced can cause more damage to your pump and/ or your sewer system. If you don’t know where you grinder pump and alarm panel box are, look for something that looks like the picture to the right.
- BCSS recommends that customers who are comfortable with it, open their grinder pump lid (if newer type like one pictured here) and hose the pump out every year. It’s a quick and easy task that can be added to your Spring cleaning or landscaping to-do list.**
- BCSS can clean your grinder pump for $100, if needed.
- Pour 1 cup of dish soap down the drain once per month to help break up any possible build- up in the pump.
- Before a Gulf Shores waterfront property will be unoccupied for longer than 3 months, we suggest you fill up the bathtub and drain it to flush the pump.
About Keen Grinder Pumps:
The Keen brand pump that BCSS currently uses has many advantages, including:
- The only American made, dual mechanical seal progressive cavity grinder pump currently on the market
- Dual oil lubricated mechanical seals
- Field serviceable panel mounted capacitors
- Field serviceable level sensors versus internal pressure switches
> For our customers’ convenience, BCSS will continue to service existing E-one pumps on our system for as long as needed.